We are very blessed and lucky to have such sweet friends who are very thoughtful and generous in sharing their blessings. This couple friend of ours went fishing and gave us lots of freshly caught fish such as tilapia, mullet, and catfish. I mean, fresh caught bounty. How awesome is that! I was so happy and excited that right after I cleaned them (with the help of my husband), I immediately grilled one big tilapia. Oh my, nothing beats the taste of fresh fish!
However, this post is not about the tilapia. It's about the other type of fish that our friends caught. They gave us three big, fat catfish. Sure, they're slimy, kinda hard to clean especially when removing the skin to make fillets, but all that hard work is definitely worth it. I cleaned all three catfish but only needed two for this particular recipe. I knew in an instant what I'd do with them. I have a catfish recipe in one of my cookbooks that I've been wanting to try and finally the time has come for me to make it.
I love the simplicity of this dish. The fillets are seasoned only with salt and pepper before being dredged in flour and then pan-fried in a skillet with melted butter. It's that easy. The secret weapon that made this dish extra special lies in the sauce. The taste of the watercress and lemon juice works excellent with the cream sauce. What a delicious meal!
However, this post is not about the tilapia. It's about the other type of fish that our friends caught. They gave us three big, fat catfish. Sure, they're slimy, kinda hard to clean especially when removing the skin to make fillets, but all that hard work is definitely worth it. I cleaned all three catfish but only needed two for this particular recipe. I knew in an instant what I'd do with them. I have a catfish recipe in one of my cookbooks that I've been wanting to try and finally the time has come for me to make it.
I love the simplicity of this dish. The fillets are seasoned only with salt and pepper before being dredged in flour and then pan-fried in a skillet with melted butter. It's that easy. The secret weapon that made this dish extra special lies in the sauce. The taste of the watercress and lemon juice works excellent with the cream sauce. What a delicious meal!
FRIED CATFISH FILLETS WITH CRESS SAUCE
Prep and cook time: 40 minutes
Serves: 4
INGREDIENTS:
Salt and pepper
1 shallot, chopped
7 tablespoons (100g) butter, divided
1/2 cup (125 ml) dry white wine
7 tablespoons whipping cream
2-3 tablespoons watercress
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 catfish or rockfish fillets, each weighing about 5-6 oz.
2-3 all-purpose flour
Lemon wedges, to garnish
DIRECTIONS:
1. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan. Add the shallot and fry for about 1 minute until transparent.
3. Pour in the wine and cook over a medium heat until reduced by about a half. Stir in whipping cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the watercress.
4. Drizzle the lemon juice over the fish fillets. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and dredge with flour. Shake off any excess flour.
5. Heat 3 tablespoons in the pan and fry the fillets over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, on each side, until golden brown.
7. Serve the fish fillets on plates and drizzle the sauce over the top. Garnish with lemon wedge. It's great to pair with potatoes, steamed rice, or any vegetables.
Enjoy!
Recipe from the cookbook: Food Lover's Fish & Seafood








No comments:
Post a Comment